[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35006: Comments sent immediately to Trash for matching keyword blacklist should not generate email notifications

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Dec 24 21:42:25 UTC 2015

#35006: Comments sent immediately to Trash for matching keyword blacklist should
not generate email notifications
------------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  scottbrownconsulting          |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                  |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by scottbrownconsulting):

 There are the requested test findings.

 The SI-CAPTCHA plugin does not do content filtering, it just presents and
 validates a CAPTCHA. So the effect on all tests with invalid CAPTCHAs is
 the pipeline stops right there, an "ERROR: Wrong CAPTCHA" error screen is
 shown, and the comment never makes it downstream. So those tests don't add
 much information.

 I did positively produce the offending behavior in test #3 though. I
 included a blacklisted keyword (the keyword was "prescription") in the
 comment body, my blacklist was populated in Discussion Settings in admin,
 the CAPTCHA was valid. The HTTP response strangely hanged, which is
 definitely a clue. The comment went straight to "Trash" folder. A minute
 later, I got an unwanted notification.

 The notifications generated on this defect are different from
 notifications on non-spam (non-autotrashed) comments in that their From:
 address spoofs the "Name" field from the comment form. Normal (non-spam,
 non-autotrashed) comments generate a notification from wordpress at mydomain
 only. That is also interesting.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35006#comment:12>