[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35180: In WordPress 4.4 the_tags() is displaying tags ordered by ID instead of alphabetically by name

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Dec 22 01:37:16 UTC 2015

#35180: In WordPress 4.4 the_tags() is displaying tags ordered by ID instead of
alphabetically by name
--------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  flodit        |       Owner:
Changes (by boonebgorges):

 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => 4.4.1

Comment:

 @flodit - Thanks very much for your ticket.

 @afercia - You are correct :)

 In #28922, @wonderboymusic and I agreed that order doesn't matter when
 updating the object term cache. But in retrospect, we were incorrect;
 functions like `get_the_terms()` may be relying on the order coming from
 MySQL (whether we like it or not). A possible long-term solution involves
 sorting terms in PHP within `get_the_terms()`, so that
 `update_object_term_cache()` stays lean, mean, and order-agnostic. But the
 performance implications of sorting in PHP rather than MySQL need
 exploration before dropping into a point release. For this reason, I'm
 going to revert the change from [34217] for 4.4.1.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35180#comment:2>