[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35172: WordPress 4.4 pagination not working - Fix for 34060 broke backward compatibility

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Dec 21 14:49:20 UTC 2015

#35172: WordPress 4.4 pagination not working - Fix for 34060 broke backward
compatibility
-------------------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  bobbingwide              |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  closed

Comment (by boonebgorges):

 @bobbingwide WP's policies about backward compatibility are constantly
 evolving. Each case involves weighing the potential benefits vs the
 potential harm that may be caused by the change. In this case, my judgment
 was that the potential harm was fairly minor, relegated to what I would
 consider non-standard use (using an integer `0` to disable a parameter),
 while the potential gain was significant: the ability to specify a 0
 offset, and the regularization of the API.

 In cases where potential harm is significant, we do our best to let users
 and developers know. Browse through my recent posts on make/core to see
 some of my personal efforts in this area over the last couple of releases:
 https://make.wordpress.org/core/author/boonebgorges

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35172#comment:7>