[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #10831: Autoupgrade: Synchronous FTP client fails while plugin upgrade/installation (on some systems)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Dec 17 04:29:03 UTC 2015

#10831: Autoupgrade: Synchronous FTP client fails while plugin upgrade/installation
(on some systems)
----------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  darkman82       |       Owner:  dd32
     Type:  defect (bug)    |      Status:  closed
Changes (by dd32):

 * status:  reviewing => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix
 * milestone:  Future Release =>

Comment:

 I'll be blunt, this has sat here for 5 years untouched because no-one
 really has a good way of testing low level changes like this, and it
 affects very few people, the original bug is probably incredibly hard (if
 not impossible) to reproduce.

 Looking at the stats of both 4.4/4.3.1/4.3 upgrades, about 2% of sites use
 FTP to update and 2% of those 2% (So ~0.05% of total upgrades, a few
 thousand at most) use the FTPSockets class which this patch applies to.
 Even then, PemFTP has 2 modes, Sockets and pure PHP, this patch only
 applies to the sockets section..
 There's about 3~5x more users using the SSH2 functionality than there are
 using the FTPSockets class.

 So what I'm saying is, @darkman82 years later, Thanks for the patch, but
 unfortunately as we're unable to test this without fear of breaking a
 rarely used piece of code, i'm going to mark this as wontfix.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10831#comment:11>