[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35107: wp_nav_menu outputs tags without line breaks in 4.4, causes strange bug with justified text

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Dec 16 18:43:11 UTC 2015

#35107: wp_nav_menu outputs tags without line breaks in 4.4, causes strange bug
with justified text
----------------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  wp-architect                |       Owner:  obenland
     Type:  defect (bug)                |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by wp-architect):

 Replying to [comment:2 DoodleDogCody]:
 > Would like to add to this with code example of why this is a problem.
 On a number of mys sites I do the following

 > {{{
 > .nav-primary ul.menu-primary {
 >     text-align: justify;
 > }
 > .nav-primary ul.menu-primary::after {
 >     content: " ";
 >     display: inline-block;
 >     width: 100%;
 > }
 > }}}
 >
 > This has the effect of evenly spacing the nav menu items within their
 container. This only works when there is space between the <li> tags
 because justify only works if there are multiple words or in this case
 elements for it to justify.

 Thanks for mentioning that @DoodleDogCody - this is actually the exact
 method I am using. It works fairly well as an approach to responsive
 layout since Flexbox is still not widely adopted by browsers. Switching
 over to floats in an option but requires careful calculations when it
 comes to padding/margins between elements whereas text-align:justify
 figures it out for you.

 For some added context, here is an article which further explains this
 approach. [http://www.barrelny.com/blog/text-align-justify-and-rwd/]

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35107#comment:10>