[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #33482: Filter "comment_form_default_fields" removes all fields except textarea for comment

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Aug 21 12:36:33 UTC 2015

#33482: Filter "comment_form_default_fields" removes all fields except textarea for
comment
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  bhdzllr            |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new
Changes (by swissspidy):

 * keywords:   => reporter-feedback
 * focuses:  ui, template => template

Comment:

 Hey there, thanks for your report!

 Just wanna confirm you're correctly using the
 `comment_form_default_fields` filter. Unlike actions, it's important that
 you return the data passed to the callback specified in your `add_filter`
 call again. Like this:

 {{{
 function my_comment_form( $fields ) {
   // Modify $fields here. Add a new field for example:
   $fields['my-new-field'] = '…';

   // Remove the website field
   unset( $fields['url'] );

   // You must return the $fields again
   return $fields;
 }
 add_filter( 'comment_form_default_fields', 'my_comment_form' );
 }}}

 Otherwise this won't work. I can't reproduce any problems with this filter
 on a clean install and there haven't been any changes to the default
 comment fields recently.  #30157 would only have an impact on the
 `comment_form_defaults` filter. If your filter looks like the example
 above, try disabling all plugins & using the default themes to reproduce
 this.

 Have a look at [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/tags/4.3/src/wp-
 includes/comment-template.php#L2250 the source code] for details.

 If you have more questions regarding the comment form fields, I suggest
 asking in the [https://wordpress.org/support/ support forums].

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/33482#comment:1>