[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #33441: LastPass autofills generated password for a WP user with my account's password + other LastPass problems

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Aug 19 18:32:10 UTC 2015

#33441: LastPass autofills generated password for a WP user with my account's
password + other LastPass problems
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  TheLastCicada       |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)        |     Status:  new
Component:  Users               |    Version:  4.3
 Severity:  normal              |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui, administration  |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 LastPass (at least using the Chrome extension) seems to really wrestle
 with the user-edit.php screen in 4.3.  I recorded a gif of my experience
 that you can watch
 [https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.hipchat.com/52421/362666/GZ1h3AiO2A6GGKo
 /lastpass-bugs.gif here].

 When editing an existing user, whenever "Generate Password" is clicked,
 LastPass fills in MY user's password and never shows me the password
 generated by WordPress.  With LastPass on, I cannot get it to show me the
 generated password instead of my own password.

 In addition, LastPass fills in my account's email address and username in
 the "E-Mail" and "Nickname" fields respectively.  You can see all of this
 in the gif linked above.

 I respect that this might be more of a problem with LastPass than with
 WordPress, but given the goal of the Generate Password button (to improve
 user account security by making it easier to create good passwords),
 having an incompatibility with a popular password manager seems to subvert
 that goal.  Especially since a password manager like LastPass is going to
 be almost mandatory for users to be able to use truly random passwords
 across all sites as we are (rightly) encouraging here.