[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #33396: Customizer: focusing a control outside of a panel when a panel is open results in a blank screen with no navigation back

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Aug 18 01:08:39 UTC 2015

#33396: Customizer: focusing a control outside of a panel when a panel is open
results in a blank screen with no navigation back
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)      |     Status:  new
Component:  Customize         |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  major             |   Keywords:  has-patch
  Focuses:  javascript        |
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 When focusing a control in JS, ex. with something like:
 {{{
 wp.customize.control('site_icon').focus();
 }}}

 If a panel happens to be open (say, we're in widgets or menus somewhere
 and a context change to site icon is triggered by an interaction in the
 controls or the preview), and the newly-focused control is not nested
 within a panel, the Customizer controls become hidden off screen with no
 way to get them back without reloading.

 This seems to be somewhat of an issue in 4.2 also, but navigation to get
 back was accessible. Now, there is no way for a user to recover from the
 results of this interaction. Reasonably simple fix in the attached patch
 (exact placement/approach could be adjusted, but this seems to be what we
 need and didn't break anything else in quick testing).

 We would run into this with the shift-click widget focusing, but it steps
 around it since those controls are within a panel.