[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29462: comment pagination in reverse order should display a full number of the latest comments

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Aug 14 12:31:44 UTC 2015

#29462: comment pagination in reverse order should display a full number of the
latest comments
 Reporter:  mark-k        |       Owner:  obenland
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  assigned
Changes (by marshallowen):

 * version:  3.9 => 4.2.4
 * severity:  normal => major

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:8 obenland]:
 > The change would break existing comment permalinks, which I doubt we'll
 be fine with. This feels like a wontfix to me.
 It should at least be an available option! It is a straightforward premise
 to add a "Use Reversed Comment Pagination" checkbox to Settings >
 Discussion > Other Comment Settings. Boolean, default=false so it doesn't
 affect existing users, but could be set true during new WP installs
 henceforth.

 '''Please''' don't doom this to ''wontfix''. It's a huge UX issue all the
 way around, has been for years, and it should really be a simple,
 supported fix for those who ''don't'' care about their current comment

 In my opinion, there should really already be a much more intelligent way
 of handling comment (and archive!) pagination/permalinks in place by now
 anyway. Even if that's not happening any time soon, it won't hurt anyone
 to have an optional stopgap in place in the meantime.

 Besides... ''many'' core upgrades were more catastrophic than screwing
 with comment permalinks! #dontwaitdeprecate

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29462#comment:9>