[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #33313: Responsive list tables have no toggle row buttons when there have no row actions

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 13 03:47:20 UTC 2015

#33313: Responsive list tables have no toggle row buttons when there have no row
actions
--------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  Chouby        |       Owner:

Comment (by helen):

 eyes on testing, as I've got a little near-sightedness at this point. I
 also don't know that it's really a great result, though that might be
 okay. Yoast SEO is kind of a strange example because it's specifically
 small-screen-unfriendly (there's a rather large min-width value in the
 plugin's CSS), but a good test in that way. The problem with keeping that
 block layout is that it relies on the data attributes on each cell to show
 the column name as a label, which of course these very custom
 implementations don't do. It's not the end of the world, and provides
 users with data, just with a lot less context.

 The funny thing is when in tandem with the other patch, you can end up
 with a toggle that doesn't do anything, though I think that's preferable
 to not seeing data. I think plugins that are using list tables like this
 are going to have to update no matter what, so I'm okay with it being less
 than elegant. Rewrite Rules Inspector is IMO a particularly egregious use
 of `WP_List_Table` (which is rightfully still marked private) - it is a
 very simple table, no row actions, no sorting, nothing.

 Some shoddy screenshots below. Note that the toggle doesn't show for Yoast
 SEO because of that plugin's min-width value mentioned above.

 Before patches:

 [[Image(http://s.hyhs.me/cDuI/image.png)]]

 After patches:

 [[Image(http://s.hyhs.me/cDlh/image.png)]]