[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32088: Bug in get_admin_page_parent( $parent = '' ) when only having 1 Sub-Menu-Item

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Apr 23 21:08:38 UTC 2015

#32088: Bug in get_admin_page_parent( $parent = '' ) when only having 1 Sub-Menu-
Item
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  iamwordimpressed  |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |     Status:  new
Component:  General           |    Version:  4.1.2
 Severity:  normal            |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                    |
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Hello,

 {{{function get_admin_page_parent( $parent = '' ) }}} seems buggy.

 My Goal:
 - Remove all Submenu items of a CPT in Wordpress Admin and keep only the
 Main-Menu Item for showing the Table/List Custom Posts ("Listing All").

 What I do:
 -       I have a custom post type (CPT)  with 2 Default builtin Taxonomies
 (category/post_tags). But The user has no Capability to access them. So
 effectively this CPT has 2 Sub-Menu-Items by default: „Listing All“ and
 „Add New“ (Note: I have no English installation, so the namings might
 slightly be different in original English).
 -       I remove the „Add New“ Menu item in the {{{„_admin_menu“}}} Hook
 by unsetting the respective {{{$submenu}}} item array entry:
 {{{unset($GLOBALS['submenu']['edit.php?post_type=mycpt'][10]);}}}
 -       I have debugged it: As there is only one Sub-Menu-Item left
 („Listing All“), Wordpress now tests if the single left Sub-Menu Item is
 identical to the Main-Menu Item. If yes, it will remove the Sub-Menu-Item.
 This works ok. Now the global {{{$submenu}}} array does no longer contain
 any Submenu Items. And the global {{{$menu}}} item still contains the
 Main-Menu Item for the CPT with the „Listing All“ link ({{{wp-
 admin/edit.php?post_type=mycpt}}}).

 Bug:
 -       But when I acces the {{{http://localhost/super/wp-
 admin/edit.php?post_type=mycpt}}} page by clicking on the Main-Menu Item,
 I get an „no appropriate rights“ error
 -       It turns out that the {{{get_admin_page_parent( $parent = '' )}}}
 function does return an empty (!) result instead of
 {{{edit.php?post_type=mycpt}}}. (I tested this by enabling the second
 submenu item and in this case the function returns
 {{{„edit.php?post_type=mycpt“}}}.
 -       When the function returns empty, than it will trigger (in {{{
 user_can_access_admin_page()) }}}
 {{{ if ( empty( $parent) ) {
 if ( isset( $_wp_menu_nopriv[$pagenow] ) )}}}
 -       And this will deny access! The reason this is triggered is
 {{{$pagenow}}} is {{{„edit.php“}}}. And I do NOT allow users access to the
 build in Default WP Post type! So {{{$_wp_menu_nopriv}}} contains
 {{{„edit.php“}}}.

 As I can judge this, this is  bug in {{{get_admin_page_parent( $parent =
 '' )}}}  that will be triggered for all(!) Custom Post types with only one
 Submenuitem. But will only be visible, in practice if you additionally
 disable the build in standard „post“ type.

 Thanks!