[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29772: wp-admin/plugins.php should not load plugins so it can be used to disable broke activated plugins

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Sep 29 18:47:21 UTC 2014

#29772: wp-admin/plugins.php should not load plugins so it can be used to disable
broke activated plugins
-----------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  aubreypwd              |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement            |      Status:  new
Changes (by azaozz):

 * keywords:  has-patch => has-patch 2nd-opinion

Comment:

 There are couple of different ways this can be implemented. Thinking the
 most straightforward way is to have wp-admin/repair.php. We already have
 wp-admin/maint/repair.php that requires adding a constant to wp-config.php
 as it tries to repair the DB.

 If we add wp-admin/repair.php, we can do the "pre-flight" in an iframe
 thing, i.e. test if all is loading properly and even detect which plugin
 is throwing a fatal error.

 Not sure we should be using cookies there. That can be avoided by asking
 for an administrator name/pass to be entered on each request. So wp-
 admin/repair.php would have 2-3 steps:
 - Show some help on how to use and ask for a name/pass (simple login form,
 no cookies set).
 - Run WordPress in a local iframe to detect fatal errors; list all enabled
 plugins underneath with a way to disable individual plugins or all; have
 some JS to try to select a plugin that is failing; a way to change the
 theme (this would still include a simple login form).
 - Reload the same as above to make sure no more fatal errors.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29772#comment:10>