[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21132: List tables' "select all" should let you really select all, regardless of screen options

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Sep 29 12:06:31 UTC 2014

#21132: List tables' "select all" should let you really select all, regardless of
screen options
-------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  evansolomon              |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  new

Comment (by markjaquith):

 I think this is a worthwhile idea. Example uses include adjusting
 authorship, terms, status, ping/comment status, on a list of posts based
 on a search result or a taxonomy query, or authorship.

 First, we need UX. I think Gmail has the right idea... when you select all
 items on the page but there are more pages, offer to select all.

 When chosen, insert a hidden flag "select_all" that is checked on submit,
 and if set, the select query is run specifically to grab IDs, taking into
 account all the filters active (search, etc). Then with IDs in hand, we
 perform the bulk edit transformations requested.

 Some concerns: this could time out. The fact that showing 2000 posts on a
 screen is painful and itself might time out, can almost act as protection
 against the user attempting a bulk action that would fail. We could put an
 upper bound on select all. Or we could do automatic chunking of "all", so
 that it happens 100 at a time, say. So, like how you have to manually do
 it now, but without waiting, selecting all, submitting. It could just keep
 re-submitting until done.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21132#comment:5>