[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29672: Direct put_contents fails during plugin installation because filename exceeds MAX_PATH on Windows.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Sep 14 20:06:42 UTC 2014

#29672: Direct put_contents fails during plugin installation because filename
exceeds MAX_PATH on Windows.
 Reporter:  willwire      |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Plugins       |    Version:  4.0
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 I recently installed WordPress on Windows 8.1 Pro. I tried to install the
 'iThemes Exchange' plugin. My default install directory was
 'C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Web Sites\wordpress'

 The plugin used many nested folders. When the plugin installation failed
 WordPress reports 'Could not copy file.' with the filename. I imagine this
 must be a common issue, but I found the error reporting lacking in detail.
 It was not clear that I could not install the plugin because ultimately
 the temp. filename in the wp-content/upgrade dir exceeded Windows
 MAX_PATH.

 I'm not sure of how this could be fixed. Possibly WordPress could detect
 your "base" directory length and examine the longest required directory
 length for a plugin's installation. Maybe plugin development could require
 folder dir lengths do not exceed a given length? I'd be willing to put
 together a change here if anyone has any ideas on how best to handle this.