[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29158: Customizer UI Design lacks contrast for visual hierarchy and does not match wp-admin

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Oct 17 11:30:12 UTC 2014

#29158: Customizer UI Design lacks contrast for visual hierarchy and does not match
wp-admin
-----------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions       |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement            |      Status:  new

Comment (by folletto):

 I think our best approach is to do both - utilizing a broader range of
 colors to achieve adequate visual contrast, and doing a better job at
 organizing section and panel hierarchy appropriately.

 I agree that these are separate issues.
 That said, what "contrast" are we trying to achieve? Consider that there's
 a page on the side, so the main contrast needs to be with the page on the
 side, which must be kept in consideration in designing this panel. :)

 With this I mean that if the panel uses different bands of color or
 solutions that don't make it perceived as a "single piece" it would create
 perceptual interference with the page on the side.

 That's why of the solutions you propose above, the one with just a single
 color and no boxes is the one that works better: it's cleaner,
 understandable, and create a single object contrasting on the page to the
 right. :)

 I have no preference on light vs dark choices, I feel both can work well
 (in the end, you can have a white or a black theme to the right, which we
 don't know), I just feel we shouldn't use multiple layers / tones there,
 but aim for a single one.

 '''tl;dr: in your mockups above, I'd go for the leftmost ones.'''

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29158#comment:6>