[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27406: Widget Customizer: Organize all widget area sections into a meta customizer section

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Mar 30 07:26:06 UTC 2014

#27406: Widget Customizer: Organize all widget area sections into a meta customizer
section
 Reporter:  westonruter  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by westonruter):

 In terms of how to go about implementing this from a backend perspective,
 as noted in that GitHub issue above:

 > Currently there is a separate customizer control for each sidebar and
 for each widget in each sidebar. So there is a mapping of one setting per
 control. However, if we were to merge the two controls into one widget
 area control, and associated multiple settings with that one control, then
 we'd be able to just have one single "Widgets" customizer section, and
 this section would be populated with these Widget Area controls. Each
 widget area control then could have each individual widget control appear
 inside of it: so we'd have our 3 levels. And when expanding the "Widgets"
 section, we could make it fly out as shown in @shaunandrews's prototype,
 instead of expand down as normal.

 As for how to implement the UI for this, I suppose it would require
 overriding the default behaviors attached to expanding the accordion
 customizer section for widget area, to cause the widget section content to
 take over the entire panel instead of expanding the accordion section
 content below.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27406#comment:6>