[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27406: Widget Customizer: Organize all widget area sections into a meta customizer section

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jun 27 02:02:19 UTC 2014

#27406: Widget Customizer: Organize all widget area sections into a meta customizer
section
 Reporter:  westonruter                          |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  new
  needs-docs                                     |  javascript

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 - '''Close button -> X''': created #28655 for discussion so that this
 ticket doesn't become too overwhelming.
 - '''`accordion.js` inline docs''': I can do those, I've gotten pretty
 acquainted with that file. I believe that the idea is for this file to be
 used for any accordions needed throughout the admin (currently only used
 for Menus), either where the basic accordion classes are used or where
 do_accordion_sections is used, per  #23449. Unfortunately I think this is
 the best place to put the panels JS, but everything still functions fine
 for normal (and nested) accordions. There is also some stuff in there that
 was needed for pre-mp6 styling, I can take that out at the same time.
 - '''Accessibility''': it looks like `esc` and backspace don't do anything
 currently; I think backspace should always control the previewed url, via
 #28536, and then we could use esc for the controls. Tabbing through, the
 biggest keyboard issues are that the back buttons are always focus-able,
 resulting in an extra tab between panel titles in the top level, and when
 reaching the end of a panel, the focus continues to tab through hidden
 controls. Additionally, the focus styling is horribly inadequate
 throughout the customizer accordion. This may be a good time to do a more
 comprehensive customizer accessibility review and iterations, should we
 move that to a new ticket?
 - '''Sorting/priorities''': in the current implementation, all panels are
 displayed by their priorities and then all sections are displayed by their
 priorities. Until there are more panels in core, that does mean that
 widgets will often be alone at the top (pending theme/plugin panels). We
 certainly could do mixed priorities, although that would be a bit less
 elegant, as we may need two copies of everything in `WP_Customize_Manager`
 (panels, sections, and the combined array, perhaps groups). I think we
 should think about this from a UI/UX perspective and get some feedback.
 For me, having the panels at the top makes sense because the types of
 things that'll go in panels will generally be more-commonly-used (ie,
 users change their widgets more frequently than their site title/tagline,
 header/background, colors, static front page, etc.). Could probably get
 some stats from .com to back that up (even though their customizer UI is
 fairly different).
 - Mentioned this in IRC, but we should try to get both #27981 and #28477
 into 4.0 also so that all of these API improvements can happen together to
 make it easier for devs to track.

 I believe that covers all of the currently outstanding issues that haven't
 been extracted to other tickets.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27406#comment:37>