[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #28650: Allow Customizer elements (controls, sections, and panels) to be deep-linked

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 26 17:55:21 UTC 2014

#28650: Allow Customizer elements (controls, sections, and panels) to be deep-
linked
-----------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter      |      Owner:
     Type:  feature request  |     Status:  new
Component:  Customize        |    Version:  3.4
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:  needs-patch
  Focuses:  javascript       |
-----------------------------+-------------------------
 There should be a way to deep-link to controls, sections, and panels in
 the Customizer. This would facilitate directing users to the customizer
 sections that deprecate theme options pages in the WordPress admin
 (#28032).

 Raised by [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27406#comment:29
 celloexpressions] in #27406:

 > It would be cool if we automatically built in a deep-linking mechanism
 to access specific panels immediately by their id when entering the
 customizer (future enhancement).

 Also by [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/28032#comment:3
 westonruter] in #28032:

 > It would also be great if the links from the Header Image, Background
 Image, and Widgets admin pages would be able to auto-expand (or highlight)
 their corresponding sections in the Customizer when it loads.

 Note that during the merge of Widget Customizer into core for 3.9, there
 was actually a mechanism to deep-link to the widget customizer sections,
 but it was removed in [27891]: for the plugin, it was used in an admin
 notice linking the user from the widgets admin page to the customizer (see
 #28032).

 With customizer deep linking in place, something else to explore later
 would be a facility for themes to add inline contextual links within the
 customizer preview to then reveal the corresponding control in the
 customizer. For example, clicking on the blog title should auto-expand the
 “Site Title & Tagline” section and add focus on the Site Title field.
 Likewise, clicking on the header image in the preview should expand the
 “Header Image” customizer section.

 See also:

  * #28032 Make Customizer more visible with visual cues on deprecated
 areas of the admin
  * #25571 Remove Custom Header Page in favor of the Customizer
  * #25569 Remove the Custom Background Screen in Favor of the Customizer
  * #28536 Add browser history and deep linking for navigation in
 Customizer preview