[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27406: Widget Customizer: Organize all widget area sections into a meta customizer section

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jun 11 18:36:45 UTC 2014

#27406: Widget Customizer: Organize all widget area sections into a meta customizer
section
 Reporter:  westonruter  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by westonruter):

 Replying to [comment:11 celloexpressions]:
 > I really like this. I'm going to need to do something along these lines
 for my Menu Customizer GSoC project, as users will have the ability to
 create new menus (creating new customizer sections). Generally, having a
 core API for this should make the customizer easier to streamline while
 new features are added by both core and plugins and themes.

 What do you think about my [comment:6 suggestion] above to refactor the
 Widget Customizer to instead have a single customizer section instead of
 one customizer section for each widget area? In this scheme, each widget
 area would be a customizer control and then the widget controls would be
 pseudo controls inside of the widget area.

 But I suppose there is also value in also making available a concept of
 paging for customize sections. But it seems that what we're really talking
 about here is the introduction of '''Customizer Subsections'''. There
 would still need to be a top-level section (e.g. “Widgets”) that would be
 clicked to enter into the page of customzier subsections.

 In terms of the API, the args passed to `$wp_customize->add_section()`
 could then include a `parent` arg which would refer to another customizer
 section. When selecting the parent section, then the top-level sections
 could slide off of the customizer panel to then list the customizer
 subsections, as depicted in the mock above.

 The introduction of subsections could provide a path forward to logically
 group top-level sections into logical categories (e.g. Colors) to reduce
 the increasing overload in the number of customizer sections registered.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27406#comment:12>