[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #28037: Editor merges paragraphs when post edit screen is accessed by pressing browser's back button

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jul 29 23:52:34 UTC 2014

#28037: Editor merges paragraphs when post edit screen is accessed by pressing
browser's back button
--------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  dbernar1      |       Owner:  azaozz
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  reviewing

Comment (by archon810):

 Replying to [comment:15 azaozz]:
 > Replying to [comment:14 archon810]:
 >
 > Right, if you put it this way the choice is obvious. However after
 clicking the Back button and seeing the "merged paragraphs" content, the
 users can reload the page to get it fixed. Suspecting this is what's
 happening now. So the choices are one inconvenience vs. another.

 > On the other hand I agree the user experience when clicking the Back
 button is higher priority than having autocomplete. We should add
 `autocomplete="off"` with a filter, so it is easily removable by people
 that hate it :)

 You're assuming that a) people will notice and b) people will realize that
 it's the back button that messes things up and reloading fixes it.

 Believe it or not, with an average post of 3 paragraphs, with some
 pictures sprinkled in, it's not even obvious unless you're paying close
 attention that some paragraphs got merged. Sometimes it's just 1 or 2 of
 them.

 It took me several weeks to properly figure out the reason and find this
 thread (mostly because it was happening to my writers seemingly randomly
 and I blamed them at first), then figure out the right solution and spot
 the workaround. In the meantime, I had to instruct them to never hit the
 back button and reload. When you have a dozen writers with varying
 attention spans, snags like this one are much more of a pain in the ass
 than you might think. Definitely when compared to having no autocomplete.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/28037#comment:16>