[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25365: timeAgo attribute for revisions produces the wrong result due to missing UTC in strtotime

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jul 29 21:38:10 UTC 2014

#25365: timeAgo attribute for revisions produces the wrong result due to missing
UTC in strtotime
 Reporter:  biranit       |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by Biranit):

 I'm really sorry I've not replied before -- it's been a little difficult
 around here, recently...

 I just wanted to say: it's not realistic to prevent PHP settings of
 timezone. In fact, on a PHP install without setting timezone, PHP now
 issues a warning. So most sysadmins will likely set up a timezone.

 Furthermore, on shared servers, the local directive for PHP timezone is
 very important: it affects error log files, for example; and other non-
 WordPress scripts.

 WordPress should be self-contained, in my opinion, and this is really a
 very simple thing to resolve to ensure there is no discrepancy in times.
 Fact is, this issue does NOT occur anywhere other than revisions. So why
 not just solve this simply by adding that . " UTC" bit to those functions?

 Many thanks,

 Bira

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/25365#comment:14>