[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #28032: Headers, Backgrounds, and Widget in the Customizer are not discoverable from their separate admin screens. (was: Make Customizer more visible with visual cues on deprecated areas of the admin)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jul 25 20:58:22 UTC 2014

#28032: Headers, Backgrounds, and Widget in the Customizer are not discoverable
from their separate admin screens.
---------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  topher1kenobe  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  new
Changes (by celloexpressions):

 * type:  enhancement => defect (bug)

Comment:

 To summarize our decision during customize office hours, we need to act on
 this as soon as possible. New users continue to hit and use these pages
 regardless of whether they know they can do these things in the Customizer
 or not. Too many existing users (and developers) don't even know what the
 Customizer is, more than 2 years after its initial release.

 pages, with widgets being slightly less warning-looking (`.update-nag` for
 headers and backgrounds, `.updated` for widgets). Also mentions the live-
 previewing functionality. Note that while we use `Customize` in the admin
 menu & bar, we're using `Customizer` here since it's explicitly referring
 to the thing.

 We're not yet hiding these pages as they don't all have full feature
 parity. And Widgets may wait longer than the others. Headers offer a
 better and complete implementation in the Customizer, backgrounds need
 media library access (coming, hopefully in 4.1), and widgets need access
 to inactive & trashed widgets/sidebars.

 If/when we implement deep-linking in the Customizer, we'll probably deep-
 link headers and backgrounds from the admin menu and admin bar at that
 time, effectively hiding those pages (for customizer-supported users).
 Once Menus and Themes make their way in and everything has feature-parity,
 we'll probably eventually remove the appearance sub-menus entirely (likely
 to happen sooner for the admin bar) in favor of more prominent Customize
 access.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/28032#comment:9>