[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27406: Widget Customizer: Organize all widget area sections into a meta customizer section

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jul 21 23:08:05 UTC 2014

#27406: Widget Customizer: Organize all widget area sections into a meta customizer
section
-----------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter            |       Owner:
     Type:  task (blessed)         |      Status:  new
Changes (by celloexpressions):

 * keywords:  ux-feedback needs-patch => ux-feedback has-patch

Comment:

 I'm becoming more and more worried about people abusing panels with loads
 of unnecessary options. While we can't do much (and at least this is
 better than too many options without being organized into panels), we can
 educate developers on the primary UX purpose of panels as distinct
 contexts within the customizer (ex. widgets or menus).

 We can also take some hints from other parts of the Customizer, where
 sections (and now panels) are not displayed if they don't contain any
 controls (/sections). When a panel contains only one section, that section
 might as well be displayed in the top-level, and the panel ignored. In
 most cases, I would say that '''panels should either contain a minimum of
 3-4 different sections or have a very specific feature-related context'''
 (like widgets or menus), where controls and sections are dynamically
 created. However, the best approach that we could take, while maximizing
 user experience, is to reduce single-section panels to top-level sections.

 reduces panels that only contain one section to a top-level section. The
 panel title is prepended to the the section title to provide some context
 for generically-named sub-section titles. This is extremely useful for
 dynamically-generated panels such as widgets; note that single-widget-area
 themes will automatically skip the widgets panel with the patch applied,
 and that the patch doesn't touch widgets at all.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27406#comment:62>