[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #28759: Cache API unit tests should verify public function, not WP_Object_Cache methods

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jul 5 20:03:52 UTC 2014

#28759: Cache API unit tests should verify public function, not WP_Object_Cache
methods
 Reporter:  tollmanz     |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  Cache API    |    Version:
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
  Focuses:               |
 The public API for the WP object cache uses the global `wp_cache_*`
 functions. Traditionally, these functions are mapped to a class,
 `WP_Object_Cache`, that provides the logic for the cache through different
 class methods. The public API is then a wrapper for these methods. I think
 we should transition our unit tests to test the public API, especially as
 this makes it easier to test 3rd party caches against these tests. 3rd
 party object caches ''shouldn't'' be required to implement the
 `WP_Object_Cache` methods; they should only be required to implement the
 public functions.

 Additionally, having these tests test the public API will help should we
 ever decide to change the `WP_Object_Cache` internals.