[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #28730: Installing British English language files removes the ability to select American English on Multisite

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jul 4 03:19:18 UTC 2014

#28730: Installing British English language files removes the ability to select
American English on Multisite
--------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  johnbillion   |       Owner:
Changes (by netweb):

 * keywords:  has-patch =>

Comment:

 Below the fold is what I was going to submit, then I looked at the source
 in `/wp-admin/includes/ms.php` and saw 'British English' is hard coded,
 whereas other English variants are not, so basically ignore what I have
 written below though for context I think it is kind of relevant ;)

 I do believe as Ian suggested this will be looked at for the
 internationalisation goals for 4.0 and should address your issue you
 described and also take into account and how I see two 'English' select
 fields in the dropdown with no discernible difference of which English
 version is which (without viewing the source code).

 ----

 ~~ Technically, I cannot reproduce this, though I see where you are coming
 from John. ~~

 ~~Just on the English side of things this also occurs for `en_AU` English
 (Australia) and presumably `en_CA` English(Canada)~~

 > [[Image(https://i.cloudup.com/Oiwgw-hnME.png)]]

 I have a dropdown with two 'English' select fields, one is en_AU and the
 other is the default en_US.

 The HTML source of the dropdown
 {{{
 #!text/html
   <th width="33%" scope="row">Site Language</th>
     <select name="WPLANG" id="WPLANG">
       <option value="" selected="selected">English</option>
       <option value="en_AU"> English</option>
     </select>
 }}}

 Switching between them correctly switches language from en_AU to en_US

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/28730#comment:3>