[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27499: When creating new subdomain site, siteurl and home are set to http:// instead of https://

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jul 1 05:14:53 UTC 2014

#27499: When creating new subdomain site, siteurl and home are set to http://
instead of https://
------------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  tomdxw                  |       Owner:  johnbillion
     Type:  defect (bug)            |      Status:  accepted
Changes (by jeremyfelt):

 * keywords:  has-patch commit => has-patch dev-feedback

Comment:

 Agreed with tollmanz here. I don't think we can assume that subdomains or
 other root domains are SSL ready because the primary network domain is.

 On our closed network, where we are not using a wildcard certificate, the
 workflow often includes configuring a new site before a cert has been
 requested, issued, and then applied to the server.

 Additionally, individual sites may have content (e.g. imported from
 another site) that is not prepped to serve all assets with HTTPS on the
 front end while others on the network may be able to handle that fine.

 As an aside. Outside of core, I'm working on a 3 stage process for sites
 where they can be checked off as non-SSL, admin-SSL, front-end SSL in the
 admin as they become ready. This is likely too complex for what we need,
 but it would be interesting if we could find the right way to mark each
 site with the level of SSL it supports.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27499#comment:7>