[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27499: When creating new subdomain site, siteurl and home are set to http:// instead of https://

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jul 1 04:24:29 UTC 2014

#27499: When creating new subdomain site, siteurl and home are set to http://
instead of https://
--------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  tomdxw              |       Owner:  johnbillion
     Type:  defect (bug)        |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by tollmanz):

 My concern with this patch is that the assumption that subdomains of HTTPS
 root domains will use HTTPS could potentially lead to a blocked site. If
 HTTPS is automatically added to the URL, but TLS is not configured for the
 URL, most modern browsers will block the site due to a TLS configuration
 error. I'd rather error on the side of caution and make sure that the site
 is reachable when first set up.

 While I agree that trying to add HTTPS in more places is a benefit, the
 potential of a broken site scares me.

 Also, I noticed that {{{get_blogaddress_by_id()}}}, which generates the
 {{{$url}}} variable that is manipulated in the patch, hardcodes {{{http}}}
 into the URL path. If we go ahead with changing HTTP to HTTPS, should we
 address this at a lower level? Will we have more issues with the URL
 returning the wrong scheme in other parts of WP?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27499#comment:5>