[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #24048: Increase the usability of Plugin Editor's files list (separate directories, limit height)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 27 01:01:51 UTC 2014

#24048: Increase the usability of Plugin Editor's files list (separate directories,
limit height)
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  Daedalon     |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by nacin):

 Well, I don't know what either of you are talking about, so there. :-)

 Right now, the plugin screen lists the path to each file. There are a few
 ways to improve this. One would be "grouping" each level and directory
 with a heading, and then all files below that header are inside that
 directory. This would probably be "flat", with a heading specifying the
 full path to that directory, versus some kind of hierarchy.

 Another option is to actually show hierarchy. This would require some sort
 of tree. It doesn't necessarily need to be collapsible, and I really
 wouldn't think we need to bring in a new JS library for this. Simple
 nested unordered lists with a dash of JS would get the right result. If
 you wanted a full-fledged "tree view" file browser, I think that would be
 plugin territory.

 I don't know which is best. And really, I don't know if either of them
 would be a significant improvement. Perhaps we could at the very least
 chop off a common path. Right now if you edit a plugin within a folder,
 you get the full path on top of the page (makes sense) but also the folder
 repeated all the way down the tree. Even just removing that one segment
 would probably go a long way to cleaning this up, and I don't think we'd
 even need to do much more than that.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/24048#comment:7>