[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #26752: Change default ordering of post types with page-attributes support in the Edit Posts list page

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jan 1 01:56:49 UTC 2014

#26752: Change default ordering of post types with page-attributes support in the
Edit Posts list page
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  ericlewis       |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |     Status:  new
Component:  Administration  |    Version:  3.0
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Since r12728, the Edit Post list (wp-admin/edit.php) defaults to ordering
 by menu_order only if the post type object is hierarchical. I find this a
 bit strange.

 I'm not sure why hierarchicality would translate to "we should order posts
 by menu_order by default in the admin," but I'd wager I'm missing a use
 case there.

 A post type adds menu_order support by way of adding 'page-attributes' at
 post type registration (at least as far as the admin UI interface controls
 are concerned). This quality of the post type should be checked for the
 logic here, perhaps in an OR relationship to support backwards
 compatibility and the use case I'm missing above.