[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27052: Known admin user_id ( = 1 ) could lead to security problems and/or unwanted side-effects

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Feb 9 20:18:10 UTC 2014

#27052: Known admin user_id ( = 1 ) could lead to security problems and/or unwanted
side-effects
 Reporter:  ruud@…                               |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  new
                                                 |     Focuses:

Comment (by ruud@…):

 Thanks everyone for replying, I really appreciate it.

 Replying to [comment:5 SergeyBiryukov]:

 > It would still be trivial to find out an admin ID using a brute-force
 attack.

 > So a random admin ID doesn't add any real protection and appears to be a
 security through obscurity technique, which we generally don't endorse.

 Sergey, your right; this won't stop a brute force attack, so if a good
 example is put on the table, any proper fix for that case will be far
 better than this approach with a random ID.

 Just as a general remark, I think that a brute force attack is more likely
 to get noticed sooner and is probably much easier to stop (or maybe even
 prevented) at a firewall or application level then a quick hack via a
 single point of failure.

 Again I'm lacking any real examples, sorry.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27052#comment:6>