[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29839: Enhance get_terms to return only bottom child terms (terms without children) when taxonomy is heirarchical

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Dec 30 22:12:50 UTC 2014

#29839: Enhance get_terms to return only bottom child terms (terms without
children) when taxonomy is heirarchical
-------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  theMikeD     |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by theMikeD):

 Replying to [comment:61 boonebgorges]:
 > Leaving open for the time being because I'm still not bonkers about the
 'childless' naming convention.

 I'd like nothing more than to reset the option names for `get_terms` for
 consistency but we all know that will never happen. So we work with what
 we have.

 `get_terms` is using mixed metaphors in its options: `parent` and
 `child_of` for parent-child metaphor, and `exclude_tree` for the tree
 metaphor. `childless` seems clear to me, but even if we switch it to
 something like `leaf` or `leaf_only` it's not going to change the fact
 that we can't turn `only_terms_that_have_no_children` into a one or two
 word option that will be 100% clear to everyone. That's what the docs are
 for.

 Changing it at this point seems to be a distinction without a difference.
 Having said that, I'm not the gatekeeper so if it's decided that
 `childless` is not good, then lets sort out what *is* good. I've provided
 some alternatives in comment 27 and went with the best of that bunch. If
 anyone has any alternatives, I'm all ears. But lets be sure, because I
 don't want to have to do an option name change for a fourth time if it can
 be avoided.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29839#comment:62>