[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #30727: Right Arrow ">" At Beginning of Line (For Markdown Quote) is Replaced when Switching Editors

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Dec 16 20:01:31 UTC 2014

#30727: Right Arrow ">" At Beginning of Line (For Markdown Quote) is Replaced when
Switching Editors
--------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  Kelderic      |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed

Comment (by Kelderic):

 Replying to [comment:9 azaozz]:
 > When using the Text editor you can save invalid HTML. That editor is
 targeted at users who prefer to type/edit HTML by hand. On the other hand
 the Visual editor is for users who don't want to code HTML by hand. It is
 not acceptable to produce invalid HTML from there.

 A right arrow at the beginning of a new line, or with a space in front of
 it, isn't invalid HTML. It's not HTML at all. If we stand by this, we are
 saying we don't support using arrow characters at all for anything other
 than HTML.

 I am working on a patch to fix this. It adds 2 new lines to editor.js (or
 one if we only want to support arrows at the beginning of a new line, and
 not arrows that have spaces in front). I'm in the process of setting up to
 submit patches but I should have it ready to go this afternoon.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30727#comment:10>