[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #30499: define WP_VERSION, to prevent having to code around plugins which change $wp_version

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Dec 11 08:37:01 UTC 2014

#30499: define WP_VERSION, to prevent having to code around plugins which change
$wp_version
---------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  DavidAnderson  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement    |      Status:  new

Comment (by DavidAnderson):

 Replying to [comment:2 stevegrunwell]:

 > The case you've described seems like a major edge-case: the site needs
 to load the (accurate) WordPress version yet is running a disruptive
 plugin like the one you mentioned? Wouldn't the simplest path be to a)
 create the constant yourself before plugins are loaded or b) not use
 plugins like that as they could have serious repercussions on things like
 core upgrades and caching?

 I was coming from the angle of a plugin author. As a plugin author, I
 can't mandate what other crazy plugins users of my plugins might install
 on their sites, or force them to add an mu-plugin. Currently, the fact
 that $wp_version might not actually contain the WP version is something
 that each plugin author who uses that variable has to learn the hard way,
 as they lose time on support issues caused by it.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30499#comment:3>