[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29341: Raise default value for WP_MEMORY_LIMIT in wp-includes/default-constants.php

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Aug 25 10:14:38 UTC 2014

#29341: Raise default value for WP_MEMORY_LIMIT in wp-includes/default-
constants.php
----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  DavidAnderson   |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new

Comment (by DavidAnderson):

 A lot of the discussion in #21646 - is relevant. The limit was apparently
 32Mb in 3.0 (June 2010), and 40Mb in 3.5 (December 2012). An increase of
 8Mb in nearly 4 years surely isn't keeping pace with real-world WP plugin
 usage. I came back to comment on this ticket because I just received
 another support request caused by this, this morning - "Fatal error:
 Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 98304
 bytes) in D:\Hosting\4662999\html\wp\wp-admin\includes\post.php on line
 281)".

 I just Googled the exact phrase "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of
 41943040 bytes exhausted" - 46,100 results. And presumably that's the tip
 of the iceberg (since presumably most people made do with one of those
 results instead of adding a new one!).

 The default memory_limit setting in PHP 5.4 is 128Mb, according to #21646.
 I think WP is being unnecessarily hyper-conservative by edging the setting
 up to 40Mb if it finds something lower. Anything less than 128Mb is still
 very conservative, based on the PHP defaults. But is bordering on useless.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29341#comment:3>