[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #28763: Behavior of template heirarchy in settings -> reading when posts page is set but not front page displays

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 21 01:00:41 UTC 2014

#28763: Behavior of template heirarchy in settings -> reading when posts page is
set but not front page displays
--------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  Frumph        |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed
Changes (by johnbillion):

 * status:  new => closed
 * version:  trunk => 2.1
 * resolution:   => wontfix
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review =>

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:10 Frumph]:
 > This trac ticket has been purposely convoluted by Chip Bennett, please
 close it.
 We're not in the business of closing tickets just because of a convoluted
 discussion.

 That said, Chip's point here is valid:

 > If this is it, then I understand how you get there; but it clearly an
 incomplete configuration. The user has indicated I want to use a static
 page as site front page, but has not specified what static page to use as
 the site front page.

 If you've selected "A static page" for your "Front page displays" setting
 but then not actually selected a page for your front page, that is an
 incomplete configuration. You may well see unexpected behaviour if a
 plugin or your theme is performing logic based on the value of the
 `show_on_front` option but there's nothing in the `page_on_front` option.

 I've tested this particular configuration and `is_front_page()` is indeed
 set to false on the front page when you might expect it to be true.

 ''That'' said, I don't think we should be attempting to correct the return
 value of a conditional when a site is using an incomplete configuration.
 The bug here really relates to the shortcomings of the UI for controlling
 what's shown on the front page and what's shown on the page for posts.

 To that end, I'm closing this as wontfix. As Sergey pointed out, see
 #16379 for the UI issue.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/28763#comment:11>