[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29022: Screen reader text (and link title) isn't updated when plugin update count is updated

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Aug 5 13:50:58 UTC 2014

#29022: Screen reader text (and link title) isn't updated when plugin update count
is updated
 Reporter:  pento        |       Owner:
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  new
  (bug)                  |   Milestone:  Future Release
  2nd-opinion            |

Comment (by adamsilverstein):

 Jed looks cool and worth adding - we are going to face this issue with
 increasing frequency as we add more JavaScript/Backbone to core.

 The problem with relying on the php translation function is that the
 updates occur in an iframe and there can be multiple updates, the
 JavaScript runs on the page without a refresh. Hitting the php would
 likdely require an ajax call.

 I like the last, simplest option: reconstruct the string so we don't have
 to worry about plurals. Not sure this works correctly in all languages,
 I'm ok with that even if the resulting string isn't perfectly
 grammatically correct. The code would be greatly simplified and the
 resulting string would still convey the important information.

 Something like:

 ```Updates available - Themes: 3, Plugins: 1, Wordpress: 1```

 Even when only one update remains, the string still makes perfect sense:

 ```Updates available - Themes: 1```

 Doing it this way eliminates the translations entirely, what do you think?

 Replying to [comment:17 pento]:
 > That's a good point, I think we'll need a different approach to handle
 plurals properly.

 > We have a few options, but I'm not sure which is the least insane:
 >
 > * Add [https://slexaxton.github.io/Jed/ Jed] to core. We can use this to
 properly handle the multiple plural forms, with minimum modification to
 existing code.

 > * After an update has happened, manipulate the appropriate transient
 that `wp_get_update_data()` uses to generate the string, then
 `WP_Upgrader_Skin::decrement_update_count` can call
 `wp_get_update_data()`, send the string to the browser, then the string
 can be updated easily.

 > * Same as above, but call
 `wp_version_check()`/`wp_update_plugins()`/`wp_update_themes()` to update
 the transients.

 > Alternatively, we can go for the easier option of just setting the
 string to "Updates available", and not bothering trying to generate an
 accurate string.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29022#comment:18>