[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #28028: bug in auto-update in 3.8.3 and 3.9 breaks multisite child sites (public and admin)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Apr 25 15:52:58 UTC 2014

#28028: bug in auto-update in 3.8.3 and 3.9 breaks multisite child sites (public
and admin)
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  swordspres          |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)        |     Status:  new
Component:  Networks and Sites  |    Version:  3.8.3
 Severity:  normal              |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  multisite           |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 What gets broken:
 - child sites show default hosting page.
 - can't switch to any child sites in admin panel.

 I have multisite on subdomains, each site redirects to its own domain
 through WordPress MU Domain Mapping.
 I investigated the problem and it is not started with 3.9 but with 3.8.3
 after an auto update: after having restored a previous full backup with
 3.8.3 while everything was working, and having also added define(
 'WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE', false ); in wp-config to avoid the auto update, in
 the night multisite was broken again. So i suspect that minor/security
 update on 3.8.3 broke my network (update released after 2014-04-18 18:23).
 Now i have restored again the same image (3.8.3) but added define(
 'AUTOMATIC_UPDATER_DISABLED', true ); instead.
 Any feedback is very appreciated as i have all my sites in this network.
 I will check if it will work tomorrow with the define(
 'AUTOMATIC_UPDATER_DISABLED', true ); rule in place.

 EDIT: while obvious, i add that upgrading the broken install from 3.8.3 to
 3.9 doesn't fix the problem.