[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25314: A way for plugins/themes outside of the wp repository to provide an update API URL

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 23 18:50:59 UTC 2014

#25314: A way for plugins/themes outside of the wp repository to provide an update
API URL
-----------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  farinspace       |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement      |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by alexander.rohmann):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  duplicate =>

Comment:

 I've noticed this as well, and I'd like to revisit this ticket - as it's a
 bit different than the related duplicates. There's a specific issue at
 hand here that I hope won't be overlooked in the generality of the other
 tickets.

 If I filter `plugins_api` I can override an individual plugin, and prevent
 the wordpress.org API request made here:

 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/3.9/src/wp-admin/includes
 /plugin-install.php#L60

 However, there isn't a way from preventing the wordpress.org API from
 being polled every time the update transient is repopulated here:

 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/3.9/src/wp-
 includes/update.php#L285
 `$request = wp_remote_post( $url, $args );`

 In wp-includes/update.php we should have a way to indicate that a plugin
 shouldn't be included when checking the WordPress.org API. Otherwise you
 get this error: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/3.9/src
 /wp-includes/update.php#L287

 In some respect, it seems like a bit of a privacy issue, as the
 WordPress.org API will always be "notified" even if users are overriding
 individual plugins.

 Thanks!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/25314#comment:4>