[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27633: Pass plugin/theme update objects to upgrader & add plugin/theme autoupdate stats

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 2 13:01:37 UTC 2014

#27633: Pass plugin/theme update objects to upgrader & add plugin/theme autoupdate
stats
-----------------------------+-----------------
 Reporter:  dd32             |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement      |     Status:  new
Component:  Upgrade/Install  |    Version:  3.7
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+-----------------
 The Background Updater functionality has always had the ability for users
 to opt-in for plugin & theme autoupdates through the usage of plugins or
 filters, but we've got no stats on the effectiveness of any of these
 updates, or, if they're experiencing different rates of success (be it
 better or worse).

 Currently we report autoupdate statistics to WordPress.org for Core
 Updates, these have been invaluable for evaluating the Background Updates
 successes and failures, so it makes sense to record similar data for
 plugins & themes as well.

 Due to #27365 we only have a success or failure available to us (and no
 idea why it failed), but it's enough data for this purpose for now.

 In adding these stats, it was discovered that we were incorrectly passing
 plugin/theme slugs to the updater, rather than the update offerings (which
 we do for Core & Translations), this change brings it inline with the
 expected behaviour and documentation.
 There should be no significant breakage caused by that, in the worst case
 scenario someone who has explicitly opted in to receive updates for a
 single plugin may no longer do so, those who simply opted in to receive
 all updates (through `add_filter( 'auto_update_plugin', '__return_true'
 );` as most tutorials suggest) would see no change.