[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25300: Twenty Fourteen: Tone down the diagonal lines placeholders and recreate the pattern with CSS

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Sep 24 16:57:32 UTC 2013

#25300: Twenty Fourteen: Tone down the diagonal lines placeholders and recreate the
pattern with CSS
-------------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  iamtakashi               |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  new

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 I'd be interested in ''why'' one looks better or worse to eveyone else, if
 you can identify it, because then we can justify our decision one way or
 the other.

 To me, it looks much better with the original, darker styling. The lighter
 styling seems nice, but it looks terrible on bad screens (too low-
 contrast, almost looks like a pixelated solid color) and doesn't match the
 high contrast of the rest of Twenty Fourteen. In the context of the bold
 black header/sidebar against the white page background, the faint lines
 seem almost accidental. Since we're consciously including them as a
 graphical detail, let's make them feel intentional; which, to me, they do
 with the current tone (could even go slightly darker).

 With the darker weight, I think they work better for the purpose of
 looking good and present-by-design in the absence of a featured image,
 while the lighter variant feels more like something's missing and it's
 only there to make you set a featured image.

 (Also, test it with the patch from #25363, it makes a big difference on
 the clarity of the lines when scrolling.)

 Either way, if we change the color on hover, that desperately needs a
 transition. I believe the best approach is to set it to the darker color
 and only change the opacity, so that we can apply a transition to the
 opacity. It would be nice if the existing weight/tone went lighter on
 hover, since that happens when there is a featured image.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/25300#comment:7>