[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25716: HTTP requests fails with "SSL read: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason( 0), errno 0"

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Oct 26 23:15:04 UTC 2013

#25716: HTTP requests fails with "SSL read: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(
0), errno 0"
------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  ocean90           |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  new

Comment (by dd32):

 A few alternative approaches:

 If we just want to blacklist that version of cURL for HTTPS requests, we
 can do that easily with [attachment:25716.wp_http.diff​].

 Of course that doesn't protect against future (or still unknown, past)
 bugs. To cover that we could put a counter in WP_HTTP that increments on
 SSL failures, 3 or more within a 24hr period (core,plugin,theme update
 checks twice daily, or a user hitting a failure page) to a known good
 domain *.wordpress.org, disables that transports SSL abilities for a
 larger-than-24hr period (1 week?) - If it was caused by cURL, hopefully
 then the Streams transport would be able to pick up the slack for HTTPS
 requests. If it can't, then the update checks will revert to HTTP anyway.

 Now that we only have 2 HTTP transports, we could also make
 WP_HTTP::_dispatch_request() failover to the 2nd transport in the case
 where the first request fails, potentially only for a whitelisted set of
 domains (ie. *.wordpress.org). That is also not ideal though as it doubles
 the length of the HTTP timeouts which users might see.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/25716#comment:15>