[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25648: plugin.php causes infinite loop and gigabytes of warning messages in error logs

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 22 06:43:05 UTC 2013

#25648: plugin.php causes infinite loop and gigabytes of warning messages in error
logs
--------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  ticktoo       |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed

Comment (by nacin):

 Replying to [comment:14 ticktoo]:
 > So, am I right with my interpretation, that your point is, a 11GB
 Logfile full of catchable warnings caused by an infinite loop in one of
 your core component files is a valid behaviour?

 Yes.

 This warning happens to be triggered inside a WordPress core file, but the
 warning is caused by a plugin. It is not caused by WordPress. There is
 nothing for us to fix. Further, adding any defensive checks in plugin.php
 (such as is_array(), as stated above) would A) hide developer errors, and
 B) slow down an API that requires micro-optimization, as it is called
 called thousands of times per pageload.

 It's unfortunate — I hope you are rotating your logs — but a logged
 warning is precisely the valid behavior here for a mistake such as this.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/25648#comment:15>