[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25626: Twenty Fourteen (and Thirteen): Gallery Captions are Not Touch-Accessible and Behave Inconsistently

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 17 22:55:59 UTC 2013

#25626: Twenty Fourteen (and Thirteen): Gallery Captions are Not Touch-Accessible
and Behave Inconsistently
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)      |     Status:  new
Component:  Bundled Theme     |    Version:
 Severity:  normal            |   Keywords:
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Displaying captions only on hover is a nice way to de-cutter galleries and
 works great with traditional mouse (and even keyboard-only) navigation.
 But it really doesn't work with touch.

 I decided it could be overlooked in Twenty Thirteen, but now that we're
 using the same format for Fourteen, I think we should fix it.

 There are two issues: discoverability and actual use. It turns out that if
 you tap in the space where the caption will appear (like on hover) in
 Chrome and the text is selected but doesn't become visible in IE10 (both
 on Win8), and if you tap the other part of the image (or an image with no
 caption) the link will be activated. The displaying on conditional tap (by
 placement) behavior is inconsistent and can't be relied upon because some
 images won't have captions.

 I think the best solution is to either always display the first line of
 the caption (overlayed, as they always are) when touch is enabled (can be
 dected with a line of JS) and then expand the caption to 50% height on tap
 of that while linking when the visible part of the image is tapped. Other
 possible solutions are a global toggle right before the gallery ("show all
 captions"), per-image toggles, always doing the one-line-to-50% thing
 (just with touch vs. hover). Open to any other possible solutions as well.
 I don't like the idea of expanding the caption of the first tap and
 linking on the second (which I figure might come up), because not all
 images have captions and it may not be clear that a 2nd tap will take you
 to the image (ie, that it's linked at all, if it is).

 Once we fix Fourteen, we can decide whether it's worth fixing in Thirteen
 as well, depending on how involved the solution is.