[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25620: New Default Responsive Themes need a min-width on the body element to reduce the ugly

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 17 10:24:20 UTC 2013

#25620: New Default Responsive Themes need a min-width on the body element to
reduce the ugly
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  JumboClicks      |      Owner:
     Type:  feature request  |     Status:  new
Component:  Themes           |    Version:
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 The new style of responsive themes being rolled out as default have a
 problem when the browser window is smaller than the normal size for the
 device viewing the site. This is mostly a problem for Desktop/Laptop
 Visitors.

 From what I understand Responsive Design eliminates the need for mobile
 plugins.... it reduces load and its something new.

 However the page becomes almost comical if you adjust the browser's window
 width smaller than ~300px wide. You end up with a page displaying a stream
 of single words making it unreadable and ugly.

 I believe that the smallest standard mobile browser size is 240w×320h.
 Adding a default minimum width would solve this. Providing a theme setting
 might also be useful.

 body {min-width: 240px;}

 It is just a suggestion
 bob aka cHiKNPad