[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #26173: DB Upgrade Loop after Automatic Upgrade with db_version change and external object cache

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Nov 22 21:15:43 UTC 2013

#26173: DB Upgrade Loop after Automatic Upgrade with db_version change and external
object cache
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  DH-Shredder      |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  new
Component:  Upgrade/Install  |    Version:  3.7.1
 Severity:  major            |   Keywords:  needs-patch
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 When running an automatic upgrade between `db_version` changes, it appears
 that the external object cache does not have its `db_version` updated,
 causing a db upgrade loop.

 This is not an issue if a manual upgrade is performed via the admin
 screens.

 To reproduce:
 - Install WordPress 3.7.1 with `object-cache.php` drop-in for your
 external object cache ([http://wordpress.org/plugins/memcached/ Memcache]
 &  [http://wordpress.org/plugins/memcached-redux/ Memcached] tested)
 - Enable Major Version upgrades (`define( 'WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE', true );`)
 - Install [http://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-beta-tester/ Beta Tester
 Plugin], and enable nightlies
 - Wait for schedule, or force upgrade with `wp_version_check();
 wp_maybe_auto_update();`
 - Visit admin panel, and notice that you now have a loop for db upgrade:
 the database has the new `db_version`, and your object cache has the old
 one.

 [http://irclogs.wordpress.org/chanlog.php?channel=wordpress-
 dev&day=2013-11-21&sort=asc#m734013 Chatted with @dd32 about this], and it
 seems this problem also exists with APC.

 He noted he'd look into it further and attempt to reproduce again, but
 creating this bug to track efforts.
 I'll update with a patch if I manage to track down a root cause.