[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #24408: HTTPd Error Log: body.xml:1: parser error : Document labelled UTF-16 but has UTF-8 content

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 24 03:10:12 UTC 2013

#24408: HTTPd Error Log: body.xml:1: parser error : Document labelled UTF-16 but
has UTF-8 content
 Reporter:  crashnet      |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  XML-RPC       |    Version:  3.5.1
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
 I run a few pt_BR blogs and I regularly see "body.xml:1: parser error :
 Document labelled UTF-16 but has UTF-8 content" in the Apache error log

 I finally found a clue why this happens:

 (because) "...é and á characters which are not valid UTF-8 according to
 Xerces. I can’t send the text as UTF-16 because XML-RPC doesn’t allow it –
 it only allows USASCII. So I think I have to find any non USASCII
 characters and convert them to their XML Hex equivalent." (from
 http://tersesystems.com/2003/04/29/xml-rpc-encoding-of-utf-16)

 So the proper handling seems to be "find any non USASCII characters and
 convert them to their XML Hex equivalent."