[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #23669: Allow front page template to fall back to home template when site displays blog posts index on front page

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Mar 3 04:21:14 UTC 2013

#23669: Allow front page template to fall back to home template when site displays
blog posts index on front page
-------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  chipbennett              |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  new

Comment (by chipbennett):

 Replying to [comment:12 philiparthurmoore]:
 > Replying to [comment:11 chipbennett]:
 >
 > > The choice to use it or not is and should be the end user's.
 >
 > Agreed, and this is why `front-page.php` is perfectly fine, unless I'm
 missing something here:

 > [[Image(http://p-am.net/grabs/fc-wm-content.jpg)]]
 >
 > Having to split that code into multiple template files after adopting
 the proposed patch in this ticket feels like a step backwards.

 The problem is that this is not how developers typically have used `front-
 page.php`. The vast majority, in my experience (anecdotal, but based on
 Theme reviews), do not account for display of the blog posts index in
 `front-page.php`. And when pointing this out to the developer, the usual
 reaction is that the developer never even considered the use case to be a
 problem, much less how to fix it elegantly within the `front-page.php`
 template itself. (The second most-common reaction is that the developer is
 primarily concerned with how the front page renders in the Theme
 previewer, rather than supporting the end user's front-page configuration
 settings.)

 Again, the end result is that the end user has no way to display the blog
 posts index on the site front page, and it is that end result that
 concerns me.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/23669#comment:13>