[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #24632: get_post_thumbnail_id() returns wrong (old/original) thumbnail id after cropping a picture

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jun 23 17:42:27 UTC 2013

#24632: get_post_thumbnail_id() returns wrong (old/original) thumbnail id after
cropping a picture
 Reporter:  TigerDE2      |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Media         |    Version:  3.5.2
 Severity:  minor         |   Keywords:
 Hi! I have associated a featured photo with my post, then realised it had
 the wrong dimensions. I thus cropped it using WP's image editing
 capabilities (applying the change to all versions of the picture) and
 saved it. I also reassigned the cropped image as the featured photo.
 However, calling
 {{{
 wp_get_attachment_image_src( get_post_thumbnail_id(), 'sidekick-panoramic'
 )
 }}}

 still returns Array ( [0] => http://.../wp-
 content/uploads/2013/06/WP_002681-666x500.jpg [1] => 666 [2] => 500 [3] =>
 1 ); which is the original image's thumbnail, not the cropped image's one.

 I therefore believe that get_post_thumbnail_id() is returning the wrong
 thumbnail id and does not update it to reflect cropped pictures.

 There is a forum discussion on this here:
 http://wordpress.org/support/topic/featured-image-in-sidekick-theme-not-
 working-image-resize-not-picked-up

 I would expect that a call to
 {{{
 wp_get_attachment_image_src( get_post_thumbnail_id(), 'sidekick-panoramic'
 )
 }}}
 would return the resized image's (new) thumbnail, not the original image's
 thumbnail.

 Please note that while the error did appear in a theme it probably is an
 issue with the core, as the method returning the wrong information is a
 core method.