[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #24549: Follow the WP Handbook Standard, and change The Loop of Core Themes to Use Brackets

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jun 10 12:34:12 UTC 2013

#24549: Follow the WP Handbook Standard, and change The Loop of Core Themes to Use
Brackets
------------------------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  chriscct7                           |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                         |      Status:  new

Comment (by dd32):

 Replying to [comment:10 kovshenin]:
 > -1. Basic and Pascal are thought in many schools and use if/endif for
 control structures, and CSS is not a programming language. Shorter is not
 necessarily faster, but is often more difficult to read, especially when a
 bunch of HTML is involved.

 To echo that, one of the primary reasons for using endif verses braces was
 to improve readability with large chunks of HTML, it's much harder to
 discern which brace ends a if or while than an explicit endif; and
 endwhile;.
 I initially thought the old Coding style reflected that, but upon looking
 at the revisions I can't find a reference that backs it up.
 Default themes have changed a bit since then though, and some of these
 changes concern if/endif wrapped around single lines which would be
 generally discouraged at present in core, but keeping it consistent
 through the theme should take higher precedence.

 http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4779#comment:19 is the only
 reference I can find to preferring if/endif where exiting PHP into blocks
 of HTML is involved, but it's by no means a definitive discussion

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/24549#comment:11>