[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #24799: Default comment form title and div id attributes prevent multiple use of comment form on a page

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jul 18 20:08:39 UTC 2013

#24799: Default comment form title and div id attributes prevent multiple use of
comment form on a page
 Reporter:  BjornW        |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Comments      |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  dev-feedback
 The current trunk implementation of the comment form will cause issues
 with multiple comment forms on a page due to using non-unique id
 attributes in the html. Most of this can be fixed using filters or
 parameters fed to the comment_form() function, except for the id attribute
 of the h3 title and the parent div. The non-unique ids of these twho html
 tags prevent us from reusing the comment form multiple times on a page
 without issues.

 The easiest, backwards compatible, solution seems to me is adding two
 optional variables to the array of parameters supplied to comment_form().

 A better solution in my opinion, but which would take more time & testing,
 is to make sure all id attributes in the default comment form are unique
 by default. This can be done using the post-id (of the post on which the
 comment replies) in the id attribute to prepend or append the id with the
 unique post-id.